Find a marker pen in your hand and, as I’m sure many will agree, it’s hard not to draw two goggly eyes, a nose and a grinning mouth on the first object within reach. So when we excitedly posted a picture of one of the little characters Jiro Bevis has illustrated for the It’s Nice That Annual 2013 on Instagram the other day, and were delighted when Clara Bahlsen had commented on it with her own project, You Say Potato I Say F*ck You.
The idea is very simple; she’s made a blog which compiles all the little mascots she comes across on a daily basis, be it in supermarkets, on vans, adverts, packaging or signage. Clara has collated it all in one visual resource and opens it up to hundreds of others to send in their own photographs of similar characters from their own cities.
What’s amazing is the quantity. There are so many.
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- David Wilson directs deeply moving film B.E.N. about using AI robots to tackle loneliness
- Art and About: Charlotte Trounce celebrates the architectural beauty of museums and galleries
- Riikka Laakso’s screenprinted zine is a tribute to Moomin author Tove Jansson
- Sandy Van Helden’s illustrations of contemporary culture
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design
- Juan Aballe’s photographs of pastoral landscapes filled with wanderlust
- Exclusive first interview with new UK Vice.com editor Jamie Clifton