A busy week for the postman as always at our new HQ. We’ve got the usual blend of look books, posters, books and lovely envelopes for your pleasure. Plenty were worth our time this week – here’s a quick summary of the highlights.
Weather Chart by Clever Franke
Large scale posters can be a bit tiresome if all they are is a bit of eye-candy, but Clever Franke live up to their name and have a bit of a point to their pattern filled offering. In short it’s a weather chart, but the finish and attention to detail makes it as positive as the imminent turn from Winter to Spring.
Percival Autumn/Winter 2010/11 Lookbook
Having seen the video for Percival’s latest collection, I was intrigued to see how their sensibility translated into print. Nice, simple and straight to the point, the fold out poster does the job very effectively, and the clothes don’t look too shabby either.
Ronald Clyne at Folkways by Unit Editions
Another triumph from the heavyweight publishing house, Unit Editions. Headed by Tony Brook and Adrian Shaughnessy, you won’t be surprised to hear that the research and depth of content is great, and it looks the part too. This issue is focussed on the work of Ronald Clyne, and in particular his back catalogue of album artwork – his discography if you will.
Medusa by Daniel Schludi
I’d been meaning to post this project for a little while, so imagine my happiness when it dropped on the doormat. A lovely photographic project by Daniel Schludi which take portraits based on how the subjects look at their own faces. Was that too cryptic for you? If so Daniel does a much better job at explaining on the link below. A great contraption and publication to boot.
Underscore No.1 by Hjgher
Lovely looking new publication from Singapore. It looks as though a lot of love has been invested in its conception and execution which can only be a good thing. I’m looking forward to sitting down with this over the weekend and giving it some attention of my own.
- We speak to the three creatives behind a Nigerian-focused editorial and film for Kenzo
- “The creative community has a powerful voice”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays
- Soshiki Hakase directs super cute music video that brings household objects to life
- Hardcore bands, basketball and You Tube experiments – introducing designer and illustrator Sam Bailey
- Is colour subjective? Disegno tests Johannes Itten’s colour theory
- The Book of Everyone: customisation isn’t simply slapping a name on a mug
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again