Philips de Pury insists it is not an auction house but rather an ‘Art company’. In the last ten years it has taken the auction business into new areas, determined on pulling in a new audience with an emphasis on contemporary and ‘wet paint’ art and 20th and 21st century photography and design.
Its London and New York bases are open, contemporary – but definitely welcoming – galleries rather than wood-panelled warrens. No wonder then that we are fans and last year Wallpaper* collaborated with Philips on its Saturday@Philips auction, a low-key, low-pressure introduction to the thrill of auction buying. Image pictured by Florian Maier-Aichen ‘Untitled (Capsized)’ 2002. Courtesy the artist, Blum & Poe, Los Angeles and 303 Gallery, New York.
The partnership encouraged us to make our own play in the art market, making a limited selection of the magazine’s photo archive available to collect. (see Wallpaper* Selects link below).
Philips’ are also expert at packaging and promotion and their catalogues are collectors pieces in themselves. But what caught my eye recently was an invite to Philips’ new auction ‘Photographs’. It featured a photograph by Florian Maier-Aichen, Untitled (Capsized), 2002 (detail), which I loved. It’s quite nice to see some of our contributors included too, Stephen Shore and Dan Holdsworth to name a few, and is testament to Philips’ enthusiastic embrace of contemporary photography. The auction itself is on Saturday the 16th, but viewing has already started, and entry is free. If photography is your thing its worth popping down to see the originals on display, whether you have any spare cash to splash or not!
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s