As we mentioned earlier in the week it’s the British Academy Film Awards tonight and aside from the great films they’ll be recognising there’s some pretty notable illustration to boot. Adam Simpson was asked to interpret this year’s five Best Film nominees that make up the covers for the Film Awards brochures. The films up for the award tonight are Black Swan, Inception, The King’s Speech, The Social Network and True Grit.
Adam also interpreted the BAFTA mask for the ticket covers, coming up with a beautifully intricate concept that recognises the range of filmmaking skills that are rewarded on the night. The series of illustrations follow Tavis Coburn’s set of five illustrations for the 2010 awards and Noma Bar in 2009.
- Long-limbed characters play out scenes in Serafine Frey's brilliant illustrations
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Humorously choreographed nudes in Ave Pildas’ photography
- Renowned design writers Charlotte and Peter Fiell show us what's on their bookshelf
- Talking ten years of Fantastic Man with Gert Jonkers and Jop van Bennekom
- Absence, loneliness and the western quest for happiness: the strange world of Vacuum
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Abstract, symbol-laden work from designer Hirofumi Abe
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection