As we mentioned earlier in the week it’s the British Academy Film Awards tonight and aside from the great films they’ll be recognising there’s some pretty notable illustration to boot. Adam Simpson was asked to interpret this year’s five Best Film nominees that make up the covers for the Film Awards brochures. The films up for the award tonight are Black Swan, Inception, The King’s Speech, The Social Network and True Grit.
Adam also interpreted the BAFTA mask for the ticket covers, coming up with a beautifully intricate concept that recognises the range of filmmaking skills that are rewarded on the night. The series of illustrations follow Tavis Coburn’s set of five illustrations for the 2010 awards and Noma Bar in 2009.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors