As we mentioned earlier in the week it’s the British Academy Film Awards tonight and aside from the great films they’ll be recognising there’s some pretty notable illustration to boot. Adam Simpson was asked to interpret this year’s five Best Film nominees that make up the covers for the Film Awards brochures. The films up for the award tonight are Black Swan, Inception, The King’s Speech, The Social Network and True Grit.
Adam also interpreted the BAFTA mask for the ticket covers, coming up with a beautifully intricate concept that recognises the range of filmmaking skills that are rewarded on the night. The series of illustrations follow Tavis Coburn’s set of five illustrations for the 2010 awards and Noma Bar in 2009.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”