As with any design festival, there’s a lot of interest in who caries off the various prizes up-for-grabs, and over in Stockholm it’s the bi-annual DesigNu award that captured our imagination. There’s a winner selected in each category – fashion, decorative arts, industrial design, graphic design and furniture design – before an overall victor is crowned, with this year’s gong going to the lifesaving Solvatten clean water device. It uses the sun’s rays to heat and treat the water – a brilliant solution to a massive problem
The 11 litre container is filled with dirty water and left in the sun for between two and six hours, so that water can be used for cooking, washing and bathing – making designer Petra Wadstrom is a worthy winner.
Petra edged out Diana Orving’s elegant latest collection, Christian Larsen’s weird naked sculptures, Andreas Farkas’ eye-catching stools and friend of the site Kyu Hyung Cho’s fabulous, colourful graphic design.
- Artist Henry Taylor takes over LA gallery Blum & Poe
- Accent magazine takes us behind the scenes of issue two
- Shannon Jager, a graphic designer combining the technical and the thoughtful
- The Gourmand visualises the intricate flavours of Glenmorangie whisky
- Victoria Vincent’s animation captures the tragic pitfalls of online dating
- Adam Birkan captures the diverse and juxtaposing landscape of Hanoi
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf