As with any design festival, there’s a lot of interest in who caries off the various prizes up-for-grabs, and over in Stockholm it’s the bi-annual DesigNu award that captured our imagination. There’s a winner selected in each category – fashion, decorative arts, industrial design, graphic design and furniture design – before an overall victor is crowned, with this year’s gong going to the lifesaving Solvatten clean water device. It uses the sun’s rays to heat and treat the water – a brilliant solution to a massive problem
The 11 litre container is filled with dirty water and left in the sun for between two and six hours, so that water can be used for cooking, washing and bathing – making designer Petra Wadstrom is a worthy winner.
Petra edged out Diana Orving’s elegant latest collection, Christian Larsen’s weird naked sculptures, Andreas Farkas’ eye-catching stools and friend of the site Kyu Hyung Cho’s fabulous, colourful graphic design.
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)