A belated edition of Things but very much worth the wait. For this years first review we have The Liberated Press’ latest offering, a carrot on a stick, Colors seek out some enviable collections (we want to meet the man who collects dinosaurs), B.ü.Lb Comix and their newest miniature originals and the “speculative” DDDDoomed, which you can read into all you like.
#79 Colors Collector Sam Baron, Creative director
This issue (the mind bending 79th) from those talented lot at the Fabrica compound must be congratulated on a massively informative play on a theme. Featuring collections as random as tea bags and parking meters to Sadam Hussain paraphanlaia (his face on a watch is particularly “fun”). Most resonant quote " there’s an intense and perverse identification that occurs between people and their things".
The Liberated Press
The Liberated Press is a quarterly that references counter culture zines and propaganda as their creative motivations and features a worthy lot of contributers to their theme of the number 135 including the super Supermundane. The TLP (acronym!), achieving success through the sparing use of a computer and a catchy motto “We’re not posh. We’re Arts & Crafts”.
DDDDoomed R. Gerald Nelson
DDDDoomed, from the man who brings you Making Known is a book crafted as a “speculative fiction” about all who brought about the “dysfunctional state of the the contemporary image world”. It’s definatly a cleverly pieced together comment on the devolution of imagery “in the hands of image aggregators”. Folk who devalue imagery with no reference or information, whos assemblage of images online make their collection the “spectacle”. It’s very good.
Poster Inventory Studio
Extra thanks for the multiple posters from the Inventory men. This CYMK riso print is a welcome and witty take on new years landmark, what with 2011 being year of the hare and all.
2wBOX Set W B.ü.Lb comix
The latest from the hardworking B.ü.Lb comix duo, 2wBOX Set W is a brilliant addition to their archive of hand crafted, silk screened box of five comics, the list of artists reads like a who’s who / how do they do it. This edition of single line strip contributors includes the (extremely likable) likes of Andy Rementer and Chihoi.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant