Cartoon editor for The New Yorker Bob Mankoff is stepping down after 20 years in the role. He will be replaced by Emma Allen, another editor at the magazine. Bob has drawn more than 800 cartoons for The New Yorker and will continue to contribute artworks, as well as editing a new anthology, The New Yorker Encyclopaedia of Cartoons. He will also carry on his work with the Cartoon Bank, an online database he founded, together with Condé Nast.
Bob has achieved renown for his cartoons, and published a half illustrative, half autobiographical book How About Never – Is Never Good for You? in 2014, inspired by his most famous cartoon. He also starred in the documentary Very Semi-Serious: A Partially Thorough Portrait of New Yorker Cartoonists in 2015.
The New Yorker editor David Remnick says: “[Bob] brought a real sense of originality to this work, but, even more important, a sense of the artists and their interests. He has brought everyone’s best work to the table and managed a complicated balancing act with grace, sustaining the work of people who have been publishing in The New Yorker for many years while bringing new artists into the mix, including more diverse voices and views of the world. In addition, Bob was an early and constant digital enthusiast, and has found myriad new ways to publish cartoons and promote the form. I want to thank Bob for his extraordinary vision and leadership on these fronts.”
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design