The Oscars design team has given us access to the design work shown behind-the-scenes at the 88th Oscars Academy Awards, which took place last night at Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre. Working with Bootmaker Films, the in-house team produced an animation for the greenroom that charts the progression of the Academy Award-winning Best Picture poster art, from the early 20th Century to the present day.
For this year’s event, the in-house team also commissioned a series of posters by international artists and designers inspired by the awards’ specialist categories, such as Foreign Language (Daniel Schooler), Makeup and Hairstyling (Mads Berg) and Production Design (Fred Birchal.) These were on display at each of the events during Oscar Week, featured online and printed as custom gift sets for the filmmakers.
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?