It’s not every day I come across someone with the same name. And when I do I’m obsessed with how the other Despina pronounces her name. In the past I have been called Desmond by friends’ parents and received post addressed to ‘Desiree’ and ‘Destiny’ Curtis. Neither of which I could do justice! But, in Greece it’s a little more common and all the better when they are as talented as the photographer Despina Spyrou.
I came across Despina’s work while I was visiting the tiny, unspoilt island of Folegandros in Greece. I picked up her book of photographs documenting island life, narrated by the Islanders themselves and visually documented by Despina’s photographs in the book Stories in History: Folegandros, the minimum scale.
There is a great sense of nostalgia in these pictures. As if time has stood still which reflects many of the Greek islands. I hope they can stay that way.
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Joe Schlaud's cheeky Kama Sutra illustrations (NSFW)
- Artist Matthew F Fisher paints seascapes and wildlife with vivid precision
- Hayley Louisa Brown on travelling to Memphis as part of Ace & Tate's Creative Fund
- Photographer Roe Ethridge’s images blur the lines between commercial and sentimental
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”