Another week, another lot of Things. This week we have the latest issue of Monika (a publication I realise I know very little about), two stunning books from Gestalten, a mailer for a new graphic T-shirt range taking inspiration from the capital and 10 Penneth, a great piece of print you might recognise from last week.
I have to be honest, I don’t really understand Monika, as stated on their ‘Monika is an arts journal that does away with bylines. As respite from the exhaustive branding of conventional media, contributors adopt a disguise that enables them to experiment with new material or style, to bypass expectation and to play. By placing the quality of her content over the marketability of her contributors, Monika invites readers to decode identities, unravel mysteries and embrace the unfamiliar’. So essentially you don’t know who’s done what, don’t let that put you off though as the content reads well and it looks fantastic.
Urban Interventions. Personal Projects in Public Places
Editors R. Klanten and M. Huebner. Published by Gestalten
The first of two books we’re reviewing from Gestalten this week, Urban Interventions showcases the personal projects from public places (the clue’s in the title). You’ll recognise many of the projects that are featured from various blogs and websites but what Gestalten do so consistently well is surprise you with projects you won’t have seen before. Another 250+ page triumph highly recommended.
Nice promotional piece from A.D London, the 12 inch record sleeve houses information on the concept T-shirt collection that takes inspiration from historical events that have shaped London into the city it is today. Launching on 14 June we’ll be keeping an eye out…
www.a-d-london.com (site under construction)
Arcadia. Cross-Country Style, Architecture and Design
Editors R. Klanten, S. Ehmann and L. Feireiss. Published by Gestalten
It’s books like this that make me think we should feature more architecture on the blog, it also makes me think I should move house. Page after page of stunning contemporary alpine and backcountry architecture and interior design.
10 Penneth Created by Craig Oldham
Pointed in the direction of 10 Penneth by Ben Terrett last week we were lucky enough to get our hands on one this week and it really is a treat. Not just great sentiments (Ideas are whores has to be a favourite), there’s intelligent, digestible commentary to accompany them.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations