Micah wrote about (and illustrated) a giant forest rat for our latest publication. He is consistently presenting (in mind-bending detail) a world we’d much prefer to live in. We’d be terrified of talent like this if it weren’t for the fact that he’s also absolutely ace.
Micah’s image of the year: “If 2010 was anything for me, it felt like a year of transition. This was the state of my new studio the day after I moved in.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
I would give 2010 a solid 8. For how good it was it seemed like an incredibly quick year. It came and went as if it were late for something. I had loads of new and novel experiences and I turned a quarter-century old. I like the number 25.
What broke? How did you fix it?
I accidentally broke my connection to the outside world. An illustrator’s studio is good for that. It has been said it’s not good for man to be alone. I agree. My fix was to move half way across the country.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
The best sight was flying into New York City at dusk. LaGuardia Airport is my least favorite New York airport, however, the views flying in and out of it are spectacular.
What was your favourite day of the year?
I had too many perfect days to count. I lived on a beach for two thirds of the year, spent quite a bit of time in New York, and recently moved back to my beloved hometown. Each location has offered plenty of days that would qualify for a favourite.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
I drove a fifteen-foot moving truck a little over a thousand miles by myself… at night.
Best Google image search of 2010?
Best man/woman of the year?
Jennifer Sims of Hugo & Marie. She is relentlessly productive and her advice is magical.
Your finest moment?
Arriving with myself and the moving truck fully intact and operational after the thousand mile drive.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
Practical: My computer. Impractical: My elkhorn fern.
What would you like to say to 2010?
It was fun hanging out. You were good company. Though, I’m kind of bummed Jupiter didn’t turn into a star.
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Biel defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs