Micah wrote about (and illustrated) a giant forest rat for our latest publication. He is consistently presenting (in mind-bending detail) a world we’d much prefer to live in. We’d be terrified of talent like this if it weren’t for the fact that he’s also absolutely ace.
Micah’s image of the year: “If 2010 was anything for me, it felt like a year of transition. This was the state of my new studio the day after I moved in.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
I would give 2010 a solid 8. For how good it was it seemed like an incredibly quick year. It came and went as if it were late for something. I had loads of new and novel experiences and I turned a quarter-century old. I like the number 25.
What broke? How did you fix it?
I accidentally broke my connection to the outside world. An illustrator’s studio is good for that. It has been said it’s not good for man to be alone. I agree. My fix was to move half way across the country.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
The best sight was flying into New York City at dusk. LaGuardia Airport is my least favorite New York airport, however, the views flying in and out of it are spectacular.
What was your favourite day of the year?
I had too many perfect days to count. I lived on a beach for two thirds of the year, spent quite a bit of time in New York, and recently moved back to my beloved hometown. Each location has offered plenty of days that would qualify for a favourite.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
I drove a fifteen-foot moving truck a little over a thousand miles by myself… at night.
Best Google image search of 2010?
Best man/woman of the year?
Jennifer Sims of Hugo & Marie. She is relentlessly productive and her advice is magical.
Your finest moment?
Arriving with myself and the moving truck fully intact and operational after the thousand mile drive.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
Practical: My computer. Impractical: My elkhorn fern.
What would you like to say to 2010?
It was fun hanging out. You were good company. Though, I’m kind of bummed Jupiter didn’t turn into a star.
- “Run towards the noise” – MINI contemplates the future of mobility and personalisation in London
- Photographer Benedetta Ristori documents cultural juxtapositions on the Balkan peninsula
- June Korea’s photographic fantasy: one man’s relationship with his sex doll
- Smart, funny and expertly executed party posters from German designer Mark Bohle
- Vice, despair and a bafflingly fertile imagination from Brooklyn-based Milton Melvin Croissant III
- A focus on typography in Ghent-based designer Corbin Mahieu's updated portfolio
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- More bonkers and surreal selfies from Izumi Miyazaki
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web