We’re very excited about this week’s Friday Mixtape, curated by legendary label 4AD. Formed in 1980, the artists signed to the label have consistently put one step forward musically as its name suggests.
From its earlier signings such as Cocteau Twins, Pixies and Bauhaus, 4AD has continued a journey on the side of the alternative, releasing records by Deerhunter, Grimes, Future Islands and The National. 2016 and 2017 sees the label investing in bright young things too, with The Lemon Twigs, Methyl Ethel, Aldous Harding and Pixx each contributing to its legacy.
Over to the experts on their mixtape choices…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
A £2 prawn sandwich lament.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
Before you wake up.
What song or album is consistently playing in the 4AD office and why?
NR2 by KWC 92, because Sophie hates it.
If a feature film about 4AD was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
Iceblink Luck by Cocteau Twins.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s