On a Monday I always make the effort to post a piece of music and accompanying video that’s got me excited recently, and today I’m going to deviate ever so slightly from that theme.
This week Island Records is 50 years old and should be celebrated. With a list of artists longer than your arm, Island have managed to cross genres, sign legends and release classics. Anyone who manages to get over the disappointment of losing Jimmy Cliff from their label by signing by Bob Marley knows a thing or two and I urge you to take this ample opportunity to re-live their sprawling back catalogue. If that’s not enough to entice you, read on.
As way of acknowledging their outstanding contribution to music we were treated to a brilliant hour-long documentary on Radio 2 on Saturday evening and that’s not the only Island-infused indulgence we’re being offered. An exhibition of original memorabilia is being held at Phonica Records on Poland Street in Soho housing artwork, photographs, Nick Drake’s guitar and even an original poster from the One Love peace concert in Jamaica. I’m by no means the world’s most knowledgeable guy when it comes to Island but what I do know is that I’ve always loved listening to Bob Marley, John Martyn, PJ Harvey, Jimmy Cliff, Tom Waites, Cat Stevens, Nick Drake, Pulp, and many more – what more could you ask for?
p.s There’s some great offers on re-issued Island albums at the moment and none more generous than Rough Trade’s online offer.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant