On a Monday I always make the effort to post a piece of music and accompanying video that’s got me excited recently, and today I’m going to deviate ever so slightly from that theme.
This week Island Records is 50 years old and should be celebrated. With a list of artists longer than your arm, Island have managed to cross genres, sign legends and release classics. Anyone who manages to get over the disappointment of losing Jimmy Cliff from their label by signing by Bob Marley knows a thing or two and I urge you to take this ample opportunity to re-live their sprawling back catalogue. If that’s not enough to entice you, read on.
As way of acknowledging their outstanding contribution to music we were treated to a brilliant hour-long documentary on Radio 2 on Saturday evening and that’s not the only Island-infused indulgence we’re being offered. An exhibition of original memorabilia is being held at Phonica Records on Poland Street in Soho housing artwork, photographs, Nick Drake’s guitar and even an original poster from the One Love peace concert in Jamaica. I’m by no means the world’s most knowledgeable guy when it comes to Island but what I do know is that I’ve always loved listening to Bob Marley, John Martyn, PJ Harvey, Jimmy Cliff, Tom Waites, Cat Stevens, Nick Drake, Pulp, and many more – what more could you ask for?
p.s There’s some great offers on re-issued Island albums at the moment and none more generous than Rough Trade’s online offer.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design