Words, images and design combine in a magazine to create a linguistic and visual tone that relates to and reflects the magazine’s readership. This tone is based on the broad vision of the creative team, but underlying it is a structure that starts and ends with lists.
A new issue is based around a list of content that continually develops as the issue comes together. Once pages are being created this list is expressed visually in the flat plan, a map of the issue listing the content page by page.
On the pages themselves, lists are a vital part of the modern magazine, and no more so than in the NY title List. This magazine consisted entirely of lists, as its contents page, left, shows. Written lists detailed supermodels’ day rates and pictorial lists provided visual histories of the game console.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant