Sometimes you’ve just got to hand it to Bob Geldof. He took his dislike for Mondays and made something creative (and pretty ruddy catchy) out of it. That’s what we try and do as well, so in that sprit we asked Adam Scott, co-founder and creative director of creative agency FreeState to give us an insight into his next few days. Take it away Adam…
What’s the best way of getting over Monday morning blues?
I find some curious shoes often help me combat the drudgery. Today I will be mostly wearing Silver Desert Boots (with lime green souls) from United Nude.
What song will you be listening to most this week?
Fooba Wooba John by Burl Ives, from Wes Anderson’s Fantastic Mr. Fox. Pure burning bright orange joy!
What was the best thing you read this morning?
On page three of The Guardian I read the headline: “€1bn hoard of art looted by Nazis found hidden in makeshift larder in Munich flat.”
Just imagine, pieces by Picasso, Matisse, Chagall, Klee and Beckman, which had been considered lost until now, being hidden amongst the juice cartons and tins of cat food! I hope they find their way back home after all these years.
Send us a picture of something you’ll use a lot this week…
If you could have a midweek night out with anyone, doing anything what would it be?
Maybe because that article has got “Degenerate Art” on my mind, but I think dinner round Gertrude Stein’s Paris flat with Hemingway and some argumentative expressionists would be just the ticket!
What do you hope to have achieved come Friday?
I want to shoehorn a story about 18th Century English landscape gardening into a lecture I am doing about the future of “Integrated Communications.” Surely Capability Brown was the pioneer of 360 degree multi-touch point immersive storytelling!
- Kyle Platts and Andy Baker's animation takes us on a kaleidoscopic trip through the park
- Casper Balslev shows ballerinas wielding AK-47s in his ad for the Royal Danish Theatre
- An unusual custom typeface and great layouts for new print mag Migrant
- Bold, minimal-leaning graphic design from hot new studio Vrints-Kolsteren
- Daniel Savage’s monochrome animation plays with geometry and space
- Waverly Labs launches an earpiece that translates languages in real time
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- Milton Glaser: we talk drawing, ethics, Shakespeare and Trump with the graphic design legend
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Strange posters and superb typography from Venetian studio Tankboys
- Should designers specialise early, or have a “portfolio career”?