Made lunch plans for today? I’d cancel them, if I were you, and instead dedicate an hour at midday to perusing the brand new issue of Accent Magazine. A biannual photography journal compiled by Lydia Garnett and Lucy Nurnberg, issue #9 of Accent Magazine showcases Julie Hascoët’s series Battre la Campagne – a collection images documenting the free-party movement which began almost 30 years ago, and which “was spearheaded by British music collective Spiral Tribe,” Julie explains. “In the early 90s, the culture grew steadily from its birthplace in southern England to Europe and North America, attracting travellers, nomads and free spirits along from all around the world.
“In recent years, the movement has seen a significant resurgence in France, despite the ever-present sense of government repression. The movement is often overlooked and has been forced to keep reinventing itself; organisers bring together the best underground DJs, electronic acts, and teams of travellers to build an infrastructure in the most desolate of landscapes.” Julie’s images act as a porthole into a secret world of nomadic party-goers, documenting a movement which has been forced to evolve and grow with changing legislation.
Elsewhere in the new issue there’s a film about east London style icon Boudica Redd, Scarlet Evans’ photographs of the charismatic Terry, and photographs by Jenny Riffle of her boyfriend Riley, a diligent scavenger. Have a read of it here!
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design