Made lunch plans for today? I’d cancel them, if I were you, and instead dedicate an hour at midday to perusing the brand new issue of Accent Magazine. A biannual photography journal compiled by Lydia Garnett and Lucy Nurnberg, issue #9 of Accent Magazine showcases Julie Hascoët’s series Battre la Campagne – a collection images documenting the free-party movement which began almost 30 years ago, and which “was spearheaded by British music collective Spiral Tribe,” Julie explains. “In the early 90s, the culture grew steadily from its birthplace in southern England to Europe and North America, attracting travellers, nomads and free spirits along from all around the world.
“In recent years, the movement has seen a significant resurgence in France, despite the ever-present sense of government repression. The movement is often overlooked and has been forced to keep reinventing itself; organisers bring together the best underground DJs, electronic acts, and teams of travellers to build an infrastructure in the most desolate of landscapes.” Julie’s images act as a porthole into a secret world of nomadic party-goers, documenting a movement which has been forced to evolve and grow with changing legislation.
Elsewhere in the new issue there’s a film about east London style icon Boudica Redd, Scarlet Evans’ photographs of the charismatic Terry, and photographs by Jenny Riffle of her boyfriend Riley, a diligent scavenger. Have a read of it here!
- Beyond Dementia exhibition features artworks and curation by people with the condition
- Creatives' favourite music videos: the inspirational, forbidden and political
- Scott Sheffield examines tourism in the small towns surrounding America’s National Parks
- ECAL photography graduate Cécilia Poupon elevates everyday beauty
- Meet plant-obsessed illustrator Franz Lang
- Graffiti, murals and design: Jake Foreman illustrates all mediums in new zine, Flash
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Colette, the trailblazer: creatives pay tribute to the iconic Parisian store and its legacy
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels