I’m a bit confused by this music video if I’m honest. It manages to induce so many opposing emotions in such a short space of time that I’m left feeling utterly bewildered. The first emotion is nostalgia, as the Arch Duke of auto-tune trance has purchased a hook from late 90s dance outfit Alice Deejay to serve as the basis for his latest song. The second is horror; that he’s added nothing to it that fits. Every new line of melody or harmony feels like it’s been cobbled together from samples he just had lying around the studio (sorry, bit of a rant there, but I loved Alice Deejay).
The third and final emotion it leaves me with is glee, because all the madness going on in front of my eyes was directed by the inimitable Andreas Nilsson, famed for his videos for Fever Ray, Moby and MGMT. It’s clear from the get-go that someone at the record label drove a truck-load of cash over to Andreas’ house and told him to do whatever the hell he liked with it, as long as it was “EPIC!”
And he’s done exactly that, including rodeo dance-offs, a monobrowed beauty pageant, bespoke pointy shoes aplenty and even one of those new Renault ‘is it a bike, is it a car?’ vehicles of the future. NUTS!
- Enter your work for the chance to be an It’s Nice That Graduate of 2016!
- Kyle Weeks’ photos portray the traditional and contemporary identity of the Himba people
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs