The Hala Stulecia (Centennial Hall) in Wroclaw, Poland, was aptly named as a celebration of the 100 year anniversary of Napoleon’s defeat at the Battle of Leipzig (thanks Wikipedia). Now, as its own centennial rolls around in 2013, AntiVJ have been commissioned to install a permeant projection map in its extraordinary, very modern concrete dome.
The building, a feat of architectural engineering that at the time had not been seen since the Pantheon in Rome 18 centuries before, has stood the test of time and taste and it’s from this remarkable cultural longevity that directors Romain Tardy and Thomas Vaquié endeavoured to create O (Omicron), their vision “of a future with no precise time reference. A timeless future.”
Referring to science fiction works – Metropolis and the original Tron – allowed the duo to not dwell on the past while keeping in mind what its architect Max Berg must have thought at the time: “What could have been his vision of the monument in the distant future?”
AntiVJ have created a blindingly mesmerising display of minimalism on a colossal scale – tracing the architecture and then dismantling it with strategic strokes of light and acoustic synchronicity. The effect is deliberately futuristic, a stunning realisation that moves the building forward in time to its next 100 years. “The use of these references was not simply formal” they say, “the vision of futuristic totalitarian societies seemed to echo back real moments in the history of the building, warning us against the dangers of an idealised vision of the future.”
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s