The Hala Stulecia (Centennial Hall) in Wroclaw, Poland, was aptly named as a celebration of the 100 year anniversary of Napoleon’s defeat at the Battle of Leipzig (thanks Wikipedia). Now, as its own centennial rolls around in 2013, AntiVJ have been commissioned to install a permeant projection map in its extraordinary, very modern concrete dome.
The building, a feat of architectural engineering that at the time had not been seen since the Pantheon in Rome 18 centuries before, has stood the test of time and taste and it’s from this remarkable cultural longevity that directors Romain Tardy and Thomas Vaquié endeavoured to create O (Omicron), their vision “of a future with no precise time reference. A timeless future.”
Referring to science fiction works – Metropolis and the original Tron – allowed the duo to not dwell on the past while keeping in mind what its architect Max Berg must have thought at the time: “What could have been his vision of the monument in the distant future?”
AntiVJ have created a blindingly mesmerising display of minimalism on a colossal scale – tracing the architecture and then dismantling it with strategic strokes of light and acoustic synchronicity. The effect is deliberately futuristic, a stunning realisation that moves the building forward in time to its next 100 years. “The use of these references was not simply formal” they say, “the vision of futuristic totalitarian societies seemed to echo back real moments in the history of the building, warning us against the dangers of an idealised vision of the future.”
- Murray Ballard explores the strange, myth-filled world of cryogenically freezing people
- Folded posters by Philipp Möckli advertise a show about the art of making
- Things: the post that excited us most in May
- Les Cousins’ portfolio spans graphic design for karaoke nuts and perfume inspired by Ernest Hemingway
- #currentmood, and the art that reflects our strange social media revelations
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- Milton Glaser: we talk drawing, ethics, Shakespeare and Trump with the graphic design legend
- Advice and insights on setting up your own design agency
- Should designers specialise early, or have a “portfolio career”?
- Strange posters and superb typography from Venetian studio Tankboys