Oh how we love Oscar Bolton Green, his squiggly, colourful illustrations spiced up the It’s Nice That 2012 Annual no end. Bloomberg, The New York Times, and even Rolling Stone are also fans of his work, and you can see a little more of it on his brand new website. Quite a quiet chap is Oscar, so we were keen to find out a little bit more about him, and what better way to do that than ask him his top five most inspiring books? First Mr.Men book ever chosen I think, nice one Oscar. We love you.
Mr Skinny – Roger Hargreaves
My friend bought this for me because he thought I looked like Mr Skinny.
The profile drawing alone is enough for it to be included.
Roger Hargreaves: Mr. Skinny
Sol Lewitt Wall Drawing: No. 1126: Whirls and Twirls Reggio Emilia – Bruno Cora
I won an art prize at school and was given a book voucher, so I bought this.
It’s the most beautiful book I own.
Sol Lewitt Wall Drawing: No. 1126: Whirls and Twirls Reggio Emilia
Spraycan Art – Henry Chalfant and James Prigoff
My older brother had this. I used to sneak into his room when I was a kid and look at it for hours.
Henry Chalfant and James Prigoff: Spraycan Art
The Outlying Fells of Lakeland – Alfred Wainwright
I came across this at college. An amazing book. The whole 278 page text is hand-drawn.
Alfred Wainwright: The Outlying Fells of Lakeland
Animals for Sale – Bruno Munari
Corraini gave this to me when I went to visit them in Italy a few years ago.
It’s short, but very funny.
Bruno Munari: Animals for sale
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant