Oh how we love Oscar Bolton Green, his squiggly, colourful illustrations spiced up the It’s Nice That 2012 Annual no end. Bloomberg, The New York Times, and even Rolling Stone are also fans of his work, and you can see a little more of it on his brand new website. Quite a quiet chap is Oscar, so we were keen to find out a little bit more about him, and what better way to do that than ask him his top five most inspiring books? First Mr.Men book ever chosen I think, nice one Oscar. We love you.
Mr Skinny – Roger Hargreaves
My friend bought this for me because he thought I looked like Mr Skinny.
The profile drawing alone is enough for it to be included.
Roger Hargreaves: Mr. Skinny
Sol Lewitt Wall Drawing: No. 1126: Whirls and Twirls Reggio Emilia – Bruno Cora
I won an art prize at school and was given a book voucher, so I bought this.
It’s the most beautiful book I own.
Sol Lewitt Wall Drawing: No. 1126: Whirls and Twirls Reggio Emilia
Spraycan Art – Henry Chalfant and James Prigoff
My older brother had this. I used to sneak into his room when I was a kid and look at it for hours.
Henry Chalfant and James Prigoff: Spraycan Art
The Outlying Fells of Lakeland – Alfred Wainwright
I came across this at college. An amazing book. The whole 278 page text is hand-drawn.
Alfred Wainwright: The Outlying Fells of Lakeland
Animals for Sale – Bruno Munari
Corraini gave this to me when I went to visit them in Italy a few years ago.
It’s short, but very funny.
Bruno Munari: Animals for sale
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery