Oh how we love Oscar Bolton Green, his squiggly, colourful illustrations spiced up the It’s Nice That 2012 Annual no end. Bloomberg, The New York Times, and even Rolling Stone are also fans of his work, and you can see a little more of it on his brand new website. Quite a quiet chap is Oscar, so we were keen to find out a little bit more about him, and what better way to do that than ask him his top five most inspiring books? First Mr.Men book ever chosen I think, nice one Oscar. We love you.
Mr Skinny – Roger Hargreaves
My friend bought this for me because he thought I looked like Mr Skinny.
The profile drawing alone is enough for it to be included.
Roger Hargreaves: Mr. Skinny
Sol Lewitt Wall Drawing: No. 1126: Whirls and Twirls Reggio Emilia – Bruno Cora
I won an art prize at school and was given a book voucher, so I bought this.
It’s the most beautiful book I own.
Sol Lewitt Wall Drawing: No. 1126: Whirls and Twirls Reggio Emilia
Spraycan Art – Henry Chalfant and James Prigoff
My older brother had this. I used to sneak into his room when I was a kid and look at it for hours.
Henry Chalfant and James Prigoff: Spraycan Art
The Outlying Fells of Lakeland – Alfred Wainwright
I came across this at college. An amazing book. The whole 278 page text is hand-drawn.
Alfred Wainwright: The Outlying Fells of Lakeland
Animals for Sale – Bruno Munari
Corraini gave this to me when I went to visit them in Italy a few years ago.
It’s short, but very funny.
Bruno Munari: Animals for sale
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s