Blackpool has a certain place in the British psyche that is probably quite mystifying to outsiders, The seaside town is associated with a very particular type of UK holiday experience; smutty but silly, sleazy but in a charming way. It has nostalgic connotations of the resort golden age but also a contemporary cache too, a hedonistic enclave in an increasingly homogenised country.
It was the prefect spot for artist Gordon Young and design studio Why Not Associates to create a celebration of the UK’s comedy heritage, but they surpassed all expect ions with the staggering achievement of The Comedy Carpet. Across 2,200 square metres and using 160,000 individually-cut letters, this amazing piece of quintessentially British outdoor art celebrates the work of more than 1,000 comedians, from music hall characters of yesteryear right up to today’s stadium-filling superstars.
Now this gorgeous new book brings to life this brilliant piece, packed with beautiful imagery, initial sketches, behind-the-scenes photos and procedural insights to give you a sense of the massive undertaking. If you’re a fan of comedy, art or graphic design this is a tremendous addition to your bookshelf.
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs