Ever pored over the latest creative awards winners, baffled and bewildered over those who won and those who didn’t and wondered what on earth the judges were thinking? Well in a bold, welcome move D&AD have released a 13-minute behind-the-scenes film of the judging process for their much-coveted Black Pencils. Although the winners will not be announced until September 18, those final decisions are almost beside the point when weighed against the huge insights contained within this excellent piece. We can always disagree with the outcomes, but it’s fascinating to see how the process plays out and to hear first-hand why things could potentially stand or fall (it’s interesting for example to hear how the commercial success of a campaign is filtered in, if at all).
This is a really good piece and a must-watch for creatives whether you hold store by these kinds of competitions or not. Now we just need to persuade all the other awards to publicise their decision-making in this way…
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale