Ghoramara is a small island located in West Bengal, whose inhabitants are forced to deal with a frightening but rapidly approaching fact every day; their home is being eroded away. The quickly rising waters caused by the drastic rise in temperature over recent years has swept more than 50 per cent of Ghoramara into the ocean, leaving remaining islanders to choose between staying and risking their lives and livelihoods, or to move to neighbouring islands where they will have nothing.
From this frightening reality, Korean photographer Dae Sung Lee has managed to wrestle a stunning photographic series, which is intended to help spread awareness about the ravaging effects of climate change whilst simultaneously acting as a tribute to the island and its people. His photographs are almost deceptively beautiful; dominated by the hazy sun and the miles of murky water which surrounds them, his subjects stand almost defensively guarding the remains of their island against an inevitable future.
He explains: “I could see the traces of a heritage vanishing by the rising tides. Exposed roots of plants destroyed by the erosion serve to illustrate the absence of foundation in the lives of these people. The sea is swallowing up their past while their future remains unknown.”
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations