Ghoramara is a small island located in West Bengal, whose inhabitants are forced to deal with a frightening but rapidly approaching fact every day; their home is being eroded away. The quickly rising waters caused by the drastic rise in temperature over recent years has swept more than 50 per cent of Ghoramara into the ocean, leaving remaining islanders to choose between staying and risking their lives and livelihoods, or to move to neighbouring islands where they will have nothing.
From this frightening reality, Korean photographer Dae Sung Lee has managed to wrestle a stunning photographic series, which is intended to help spread awareness about the ravaging effects of climate change whilst simultaneously acting as a tribute to the island and its people. His photographs are almost deceptively beautiful; dominated by the hazy sun and the miles of murky water which surrounds them, his subjects stand almost defensively guarding the remains of their island against an inevitable future.
He explains: “I could see the traces of a heritage vanishing by the rising tides. Exposed roots of plants destroyed by the erosion serve to illustrate the absence of foundation in the lives of these people. The sea is swallowing up their past while their future remains unknown.”
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"