Ghoramara is a small island located in West Bengal, whose inhabitants are forced to deal with a frightening but rapidly approaching fact every day; their home is being eroded away. The quickly rising waters caused by the drastic rise in temperature over recent years has swept more than 50 per cent of Ghoramara into the ocean, leaving remaining islanders to choose between staying and risking their lives and livelihoods, or to move to neighbouring islands where they will have nothing.
From this frightening reality, Korean photographer Dae Sung Lee has managed to wrestle a stunning photographic series, which is intended to help spread awareness about the ravaging effects of climate change whilst simultaneously acting as a tribute to the island and its people. His photographs are almost deceptively beautiful; dominated by the hazy sun and the miles of murky water which surrounds them, his subjects stand almost defensively guarding the remains of their island against an inevitable future.
He explains: “I could see the traces of a heritage vanishing by the rising tides. Exposed roots of plants destroyed by the erosion serve to illustrate the absence of foundation in the lives of these people. The sea is swallowing up their past while their future remains unknown.”
- Moving Brands gives its opinions on the new Google logo design
- Typographic club posters that show how creativity flourishes within boundaries
- Eric Petersen's surreal illustrations take their cues from video games
- Paris-based Adrien Menard's portfolio experiments with letterforms and composition
- The creative process explained via egg metaphors, thanks to artist Honza Zamojski
- Vincent Girardot’s photo diary documents an alpine tour of fish, factories and firs
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Playfully tongue-in-cheek illustrations from Germany-based Cécile Dormeau
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield