Ghoramara is a small island located in West Bengal, whose inhabitants are forced to deal with a frightening but rapidly approaching fact every day; their home is being eroded away. The quickly rising waters caused by the drastic rise in temperature over recent years has swept more than 50 per cent of Ghoramara into the ocean, leaving remaining islanders to choose between staying and risking their lives and livelihoods, or to move to neighbouring islands where they will have nothing.
From this frightening reality, Korean photographer Dae Sung Lee has managed to wrestle a stunning photographic series, which is intended to help spread awareness about the ravaging effects of climate change whilst simultaneously acting as a tribute to the island and its people. His photographs are almost deceptively beautiful; dominated by the hazy sun and the miles of murky water which surrounds them, his subjects stand almost defensively guarding the remains of their island against an inevitable future.
He explains: “I could see the traces of a heritage vanishing by the rising tides. Exposed roots of plants destroyed by the erosion serve to illustrate the absence of foundation in the lives of these people. The sea is swallowing up their past while their future remains unknown.”
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant