I’ve not got much experience when it comes to furnishing a house or flat, as my accommodation arrangements thus far have never allowed much creative freedom to choose my own functional objects. If the landlord likes a fake leather sofa then I’ll put up with it, if she’s a huge fan of ornately patterned net curtains then heck, maybe I like them too (I don’t).
One thing I do know for sure is that when I finally amass enough cash to buy a place of my own (I’ve got a 40-year plan) I’ll be filling it with the kind of functional furnishings created by Dean Brown, a Scottish industrial designer with a gift for creating beautiful objects. His traditional form-follows-function approach to design has seen him create a variety of beautiful works for his own studio and latterly for Fabrica, Benetton’s international research centre.
Favourite amongst his projects is Plate Life, a functional light source and objet d’art that draws inspiration from a photographic umbrella and a household dish rack that positions “two ceramic bowls and a light-source in a state of interdependency – the larger silvered plate directing the light source back upon itself.” Mark my words, one day I’ll have one of these in my living room and there’ll be not a single net curtain in sight.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc