I’ve not got much experience when it comes to furnishing a house or flat, as my accommodation arrangements thus far have never allowed much creative freedom to choose my own functional objects. If the landlord likes a fake leather sofa then I’ll put up with it, if she’s a huge fan of ornately patterned net curtains then heck, maybe I like them too (I don’t).
One thing I do know for sure is that when I finally amass enough cash to buy a place of my own (I’ve got a 40-year plan) I’ll be filling it with the kind of functional furnishings created by Dean Brown, a Scottish industrial designer with a gift for creating beautiful objects. His traditional form-follows-function approach to design has seen him create a variety of beautiful works for his own studio and latterly for Fabrica, Benetton’s international research centre.
Favourite amongst his projects is Plate Life, a functional light source and objet d’art that draws inspiration from a photographic umbrella and a household dish rack that positions “two ceramic bowls and a light-source in a state of interdependency – the larger silvered plate directing the light source back upon itself.” Mark my words, one day I’ll have one of these in my living room and there’ll be not a single net curtain in sight.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting