Deutsche & Japaner are a four-man studio based in Manheim, Germany who specialise in all things design – graphic, product and even a spot of interior. We first picked up on them via About’s Flags project but have since found them to be hiding an assortment of design gems up their talented sleeves. Whether designing polished on-screen graphics or beautifully haptic printed matter, their commitment to visual communication is abundantly clear; and for a studio of such limited proportions they’ve certainly been prolific during their three-year lifespan.
So it’s perhaps surprising that the work we’ve chosen to feature doesn’t actually exist, but is rather a virtual outlet for the studio’s various creative whims. Fake Publications purports to be an independent publishing house of virtual publications. Currently the venture comprises eight digital tomes, though they currently only exist as 3D mockups of book jackets without any actual content. Regardless of the obvious limitations of these things not actually existing, they’re still incredibly striking digital works in their own right, offering an enticing snapshot of potential future projects and highlighting the studio’s commitment to its own personal development outside the realms of day-to day client work.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs