Deutsche & Japaner are a four-man studio based in Manheim, Germany who specialise in all things design – graphic, product and even a spot of interior. We first picked up on them via About’s Flags project but have since found them to be hiding an assortment of design gems up their talented sleeves. Whether designing polished on-screen graphics or beautifully haptic printed matter, their commitment to visual communication is abundantly clear; and for a studio of such limited proportions they’ve certainly been prolific during their three-year lifespan.
So it’s perhaps surprising that the work we’ve chosen to feature doesn’t actually exist, but is rather a virtual outlet for the studio’s various creative whims. Fake Publications purports to be an independent publishing house of virtual publications. Currently the venture comprises eight digital tomes, though they currently only exist as 3D mockups of book jackets without any actual content. Regardless of the obvious limitations of these things not actually existing, they’re still incredibly striking digital works in their own right, offering an enticing snapshot of potential future projects and highlighting the studio’s commitment to its own personal development outside the realms of day-to day client work.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos