Deutsche & Japaner are a four-man studio based in Manheim, Germany who specialise in all things design – graphic, product and even a spot of interior. We first picked up on them via About’s Flags project but have since found them to be hiding an assortment of design gems up their talented sleeves. Whether designing polished on-screen graphics or beautifully haptic printed matter, their commitment to visual communication is abundantly clear; and for a studio of such limited proportions they’ve certainly been prolific during their three-year lifespan.
So it’s perhaps surprising that the work we’ve chosen to feature doesn’t actually exist, but is rather a virtual outlet for the studio’s various creative whims. Fake Publications purports to be an independent publishing house of virtual publications. Currently the venture comprises eight digital tomes, though they currently only exist as 3D mockups of book jackets without any actual content. Regardless of the obvious limitations of these things not actually existing, they’re still incredibly striking digital works in their own right, offering an enticing snapshot of potential future projects and highlighting the studio’s commitment to its own personal development outside the realms of day-to day client work.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc