Deutsche & Japaner are a four-man studio based in Manheim, Germany who specialise in all things design – graphic, product and even a spot of interior. We first picked up on them via About’s Flags project but have since found them to be hiding an assortment of design gems up their talented sleeves. Whether designing polished on-screen graphics or beautifully haptic printed matter, their commitment to visual communication is abundantly clear; and for a studio of such limited proportions they’ve certainly been prolific during their three-year lifespan.
So it’s perhaps surprising that the work we’ve chosen to feature doesn’t actually exist, but is rather a virtual outlet for the studio’s various creative whims. Fake Publications purports to be an independent publishing house of virtual publications. Currently the venture comprises eight digital tomes, though they currently only exist as 3D mockups of book jackets without any actual content. Regardless of the obvious limitations of these things not actually existing, they’re still incredibly striking digital works in their own right, offering an enticing snapshot of potential future projects and highlighting the studio’s commitment to its own personal development outside the realms of day-to day client work.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang