Perhaps it’s easier to explain what not to expect at the first East London Comics & Arts Festival (ELCAF) hosted by NoBrow this weekend. Most importantly, it is definitely not exclusive to the comic and cartoon hangouts; if you know what is good and good for you then you’ll know that a room full of independent publishers and image-makers with original work, limited editions and small-run presses going for mere, mere moneys is worth your while.
Independent publishers and image-makers that will also be sharing insight and demonstrating their talents in collective artworks, holding discussions, drinking lucozade, chatting about risographs etc, For example Becky Barnicoat from The Guardian will be hosting a panel talking autobiographical trends in graphic novels, superlative-happy Blexbolex in conversation with com-fest stalwart Paul Gravett, and an animation cinema curated by Nexus.
Of the illustrative purveyors making camp at the Village Underground location, here’s a quick crop of the talent; some familiar, some not – aka an opportunity to get your hands on some much coveted work and discover something special. It might also be worth falsifying a comic-related presumption and have a conversation with some them. See you on Sunday.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant