Photographer Enda Bowe’s series At Mirrored River captures the serenity and quietness of a small industrial town in Ireland. Inspired by the Gaelic word “teannalach”, which means awareness, the project seeks out the beauty in the ordinary in a series of quietly powerful images. “With this in mind, l sought to capture the teannalach of stories and dreams within a singular town,” says Enda.
“It was important for me to construct an unrecognisable geographical picture of a town which didn’t have recognisable iconic images, to avoid the obvious,” explains the photographer. “I wanted to look at the ordinary every day spaces we inhabit and our ordinary daily lives because for me, the ordinary is where all the of the universal beauty, magic and possibilities lie. As the late influential writer John McGahern said: “the ordinary is the most precious thing in life”. McGahern is an influence for the writer, along with the poet John Glenday, and directors Lynne Ramsey, Ken Loach and Lenny Abrahamson.
Imbued with hope and optimism, the project finds feeling in the familiar and mundane. Enda’s project received the international Solas Photography Award 2015 and has been nominated for the Prix Pictet Award 2016 and the Deutsche Borse Foundation Photography Prize 2016.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc