This week’s Friday Mixtape comes a day early as tomorrow the It’s Nice That team will be at our annual symposium, Here. Rather than deprive you of your weekend mix, here is a treat from Atlanta rapper Father, ahead of his performance at M.I.A’s Meltdown festival at The Southbank Centre next week (16 June 2017).
Father will perform as part of Awful Records’ Club Night hand picked by M.I.A. The three-hour rave will bring Atlanta and London underground culture together, under the umbrella of the experimentally influential Atlanta-based collective and label.
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
In rap, technical skill has gone pretty unappreciated in the trap era, so this is just a playlist of some of the artists and songs that shaped my style when I first started writing. It’s really an ode to my second year of college, this is like the playlist for my year of neglecting class, fucking and learning about all the possibilities outside of just being another nigga in the matrix.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
I don’t know man, at the crib, in a chair.
What are you looking forward to about performing at Meltdown?
Killing shit with Keith Charles & Danger Incorporated. It’s one of the first performances I’ve had with The Danger Boys, so that’s pretty tight too. And I just love London in general, the architecture, weather, the bars.
What do you listen to while on tour?
When you’re on the road you end up listening to everything. All the current hits, classical, jazz, rap & R&B from every era imaginable, rock, punk, indie, electro, etc etc etc… You can’t stick to one thing for too long on the road or it’ll drive you insane.
If a film was to be made about you, what song would you choose for the trailer?
Bankroll Fresh’s Come Wit It.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design