I’ll level with you here, we’re getting pretty tired of the print vs digital debate. We love the endless scroll and unbridled sharing of the internet just as much as we love the tactility and uniquely possessive nature of books. Can’t we all just get along here guys? Still, when Gestalten get in touch with news that they’re producing a volume dedicated to the very best in book design and print innovation it IS pretty tempting to tell digital where to shove it.
But we’d never stoop that low. We’d rather celebrate the arrival of this fresh new tome, Fully Booked: Ink On Paper, by telling you that it celebrates the very best of what print does well; foiling, debossing, Japanese binding, experimental print techniques, unique formats and really exceptional design. It’s reassuringly full of work by some of the finest practitioners and publishers in the world today, and as you’d expect from a work that wrestles with such weighty content, it’s beautifully designed too.
So enough of the squabbling everybody, print’s still going strong, but that doesn’t mean you have to set fire to your iPad; it’s much more exciting to live in a world in which we can celebrate books on the internet and glorify gadgets in print.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery