The only thing cooler than a girl gang is a girl gang of six-year-olds who are insanely good at skateboarding. Meet Pink Helmet Posse, a group of three astonishingly talented and cute little girls who are best friends, and love to skate. The New York Times have commissioned this spectacular short film about this curious trio as part of their consistently brilliant Opinion Pages, inviting the viewer to check out something that’s going to blow their minds and also make them think a little too.
That’s the best thing about this short documentary, as well as being hilariously cute and making you really, really want to have a daughter, it’s actually bringing up an issue that’s been lurking in the background since skateboarding began: the lack of women involved in the sport. “While women’s visibility in skateboarding has gradually increased in recent years, the Pink Helmet Posse is an unusual sight: Of over 12 million skateboarders in the United States, fewer than a quarter are estimated to be female,” the New York Times states. “Despite slowly changing attitudes, this underrepresentation extends to extreme sporting events, such as the X Games. We hope this Op-Doc encourages more girls and young women to defy these odds.”
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages