It has been claimed that F. Scott Fitzgerald’s major contribution to literature was that by dint of The Great Gatsby nobody else could ever write a good party scene. While that is obviously a reductive theory, it’s certainly true that Gatsby’s sparkling soirees on his blue lawn stick long in the memory after reading his most iconic work, decadent, delicious and intoxicating in both senses of the word. With this in mind, it seems apt that Baz Luhrmann is taking on the tale – he proved in Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge that he does surreally-tinged glitz and glamour better than anyone. And he also showed with his much-heralded Shakespeare that he isn’t afraid to take on big, popular stories that people are hugely emotionally invested in. He’ll need that confidence for Gatsby, even with a cast including Leonardo di Caprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Macguire and Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan.
But even with all those caveats this trailer looks very promising. It’s clearly going to be big, bold and beautiful. It better not be a letdown, or else Baz may be back to doing weird things like this.
- Parallel Teeth's cheery world of egg eyes, animated cut-outs and weird illustrated characters
- Will Dohrn directs dreamy video “Ribbons” for Club Kuru
- Inès Longevial’s deliciously rich geometric paintings
- Illustrator Richard Ellis’ joyfully large-breasted and bare-bottomed characters
- Graphic design grad Georgia Cranstoun reconsiders authorship with a “bootleg” book
- Bohuy Kim’s “strange but splendid” poster designs
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know