The difficult second album is a widely recognised cultural phenomenon – bursting onto the scene is all well and good but staying there is not for the faint-hearted. The first look at the second issue of Intern magazine suggests there’s no such concerns here. Continuing its mission to “delve deeper into the intern culture in the creative industries while showcasing work from some of the precocious talent that make up this burgeoning workforce,” Alec Dudson and his team have once again found unusual, innovative and considered ways to address this most divisive topic.
The content feels like a step forward from the already impressive inaugural issue – there’s a feature on Melbourne’s creative writing scene, the praktikium internship model which holds sway in Germany and a look at the professional limbo trapping a whole generation of young Portuguese, as well as industry insights from big-hitters like Jessica Walsh, Adrian Shaughnessy and Jean Jullien (interviewed with his former intern Toufan Hosseiny).
The excellent She Was Only (who recently took over the design of Boat magazine) are behind the look and feel of Intern and have pulled off the trick of making it feel fresh and vibrant without straying into a kind of faux-funky stylistic limbo.
All in all this is a print product with an increasingly confident sense of self and an important addition to creative industry discourse.
- Poised for greatness: Gustl the dog as photographed by proud owner Lukas Wassmann
- Should account handlers and project managers be awarded like creatives?
- Graphic designer Kristoffer Halse Sølling navigates the power play between customer and superstore
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016
- What do you do if your design agency fails? One designer and ex-agency owner's support and advice
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood