Full credit to Jacob Escobedo: For his gig posters and record covers used by the likes of Broken Bells, The Shins, Gnarls Barkley and Vampire Weekend. For creative directing Adult Swim and for taking for photographs which have character cameos from Kanye West and David Lynch (exclusively, hanging out). And finally for his contributions to The New Yorker’s June issue, illustrations with a science fiction bent, accompanying articles by the genre behemoths like Ursula k. Le Guin, Margaret Atwood and, most extraordinarily, the final published piece by Ray Bradbury, released the day before his passing.
This sort of all-creative-corners-covered occupation is rare but not unexplainable. Jacob works with an iconic focus in his work, all attention put on a strange visual motif dripping (sometimes literally) with colour and texture and abstract, graphic expressions. The format is editorial and music-friendly, the colours and ambiguity of the work lending itself nicely to auditory translation, and the quality, too, is food for fans who take pride in their memorabilia or who don’t want the written or musical content to be spoiled by inappropriate imagery. No trouble of that here, Jacob has it down and is pretty inimitable at it.
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant