When Korean longboarder Hyojoo Ko released an Instagram video early last year showing her expertly perform a choreographed skate through Han River Park in Seoul, it earned millions of views the world over. Now director Lacey has worked with production company Rita to create a fashion film for Vogue Japan starring Hyojoo, featuring some of the same moves but in an altogether more awesome environment.
Making for addictive watching, the beautifully produced film follows the boarder as she sinuously glides through the architecture of Oscar Niemeyer’s International Cultural Centre in Asturias, Spain. Seeing the vast urban space devoid of people is both innately satisfying and uncanny, the curves of the white buildings and the concrete landscape creating the perfect set for Hyojoo’s sequence. Flashes of primary colour come from the surroundings, including a wave crest of red fabric that she boards through in a highlight of the film. Set against that backdrop, the colours and textures of the clothing stand centre stage. There’s a subtle element of surrealism too, when multiples of Hyojoo appear, as well as a giant red rolling circle.
The film was directed by Lacey with director of photography Kaname Onoyama, and edited by Kate Owen at Whitehouse Post. It is accompanied by Elderbrook’s song Could. The team at Rita included Michel Teicher, Camila Mendez and Germain Robin, and VFX was by The Mill.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos