Lawrence Slater, London-based illustrator and brother of Thomas Slater who we’ve written a bunch about in the past, has a talented hand of his own to show off. Working in vibrant colours and with faux-naive figures, his illustration is unashamedly joyful, so it makes perfect sense that his recent series Hedonism riffs on the wildly rich lifestyle you might expect if you won the lottery or discovered a stash of pirate treasure. The series is all busty, bare-breasted babes, fast cars, pet lions and jet skis, and it’s an opulent mess.
Lawrence and Thomas have just set up a DIY printing press in their living room in south-east London, he tells us, so we’re expecting to see more from him soon! Watch this space.
- Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer: the Stein sisters’ heart-warming film on child ballroom stars
- Three female art directors on collaboration, competition and confidence
- Pooneh Ghana’s ambient crowd and artist portraits from Pitchfork Music Festival make you wish you were there
- Julian Glander explains what a blockchain system is for MIT Technology Review
- “It’s a process of baby-making”: designing the horrific and hilarious multiverse of Rick and Morty
- Pouya Ahmadi uses typography to “bridge the gap between poetry, performance and space"
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus