Lawrence Slater, London-based illustrator and brother of Thomas Slater who we’ve written a bunch about in the past, has a talented hand of his own to show off. Working in vibrant colours and with faux-naive figures, his illustration is unashamedly joyful, so it makes perfect sense that his recent series Hedonism riffs on the wildly rich lifestyle you might expect if you won the lottery or discovered a stash of pirate treasure. The series is all busty, bare-breasted babes, fast cars, pet lions and jet skis, and it’s an opulent mess.
Lawrence and Thomas have just set up a DIY printing press in their living room in south-east London, he tells us, so we’re expecting to see more from him soon! Watch this space.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors