Léa Maupetit is a French illustrator who has had us previously enamoured with her delightfully sweet paintings and drawings. With carefully constructed patterns layered to create compositions, she is an artist who displays tactility with delicate charm.
This is a charm which captivated Parisian lifestyle publication, L’instant Parisien who commissioned Léa for it’s most recent issue. The article which Léa’s illustrations run alongside is a conversation with Jacqueline Duhême, an incredible French artist who started her career as an apprentice to Henri Matisse. During Jacqueline’s career she continued to work with the crème de la crème of French creatives, from poet and screenwriter Jacques Prévert to Pablo Picasso.
To demonstrate Jacqueline’s career and those who have employed her illustrational skills, Léa’s pieces display each of her artististic acquaintances. From helping Henri Matisse display his prominent cut-outs, assisting Pablo Picasso with his painted pottery, or sitting with Jacques Prévert in the garden while he writes and smokes a cigarette. Léa’s editorial work displays both her own stylistic tendencies and the creative she is depicting. The prints are available in a limited edition of 50 here.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages