Paris-based photographer Léo Caillard has captured the beach huts of Miami with such vibrancy that we wish we could enter the images and hang out there for hours, paddling in the waters and lounging around on the sand. C’mon, Mary Poppins effect – London’s getting a bit hot these days!
Each image is composed in a fairly uniform manner, with the same ratio-bands of sky, sea, and sand emphasising the decorative and structural differences of each hut. These may look like lighthouses or ice-cream carts, but are in fact life-guard huts – in August 1992, Hurricane Andrew destroyed all of the beach lookout towers and each had to be newly rebuilt. Architect William Lane originally produced replacements free of charge, and during the renovation process each shelter was brightly and eclectically decorated to imbue the beaches with a fun, artistic vibe. The fact that each is so visually unique provides each shelter with landmark qualities – important for beach strollers and swimmers alike. Some evoke images of traditional, horizontally-striped beach tents and Punch & Judy shows, while others feature the refreshing citrus colours of an ice-lolly. Delightful!
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Maya Fuhr's new project adds a slick, 80s-inspired editorial feel to a hospital setting
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs