The news cycle is a curious thing, or maybe just wearyingly predictable. The story that dominates TV bulletins and newspaper headlines for days disappears barely mentioned once media managers decide we must be bored of it. It’s often left to photographers to persevere where the TV crews once stood, and so it is with the situation in Ukraine, where a turbulent few months have racked the country physically and emotionally.
Marco Kesseler’s extraordinary This Land Of Ours That Is Not Ours series was taken as the pro-European movement clashed with government forces on the streets of Kiev. It takes its name from a line of Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko, whose words resonate ever more truly with Russia’s increasing designs on parts of the country.
These pictures were taken when both sides in the protest were rallying their troops and steadying their nerves, preparing for what was about to unfold. As such the photographs bristle with tension, whether that’s in the distracted faces of the people depicted or the seemingly mundane details that assume portentous significance, such as the stockpiled bottled water.
This is documentary photography at its most raw, its most powerful, and proves that Marco is a creative talent of the very highest order.
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant