Matthew Stone is more than just an artist, he’s a shaman, a tour de force, a happening and something of a legend. Or so reads his artists bio. Matthew has created a cult status for himself in London since graduating from Camberwell College of Art in 2004 with a degree in painting. But make no mistake, he’s not really a painter. Between 2005 and 2008 Matthew spearheaded the South London arts collective ! WOWOW !, running riot across the capital with a barrage of squat parties, gallery shows and performances, provoking the interests of Dazed and Confused and i-D; the poster boy for London’s art scene.
All this myth and legend would be hard to swallow were it not for the fact that Matthew was and is an incredibly talented artist. His latest two shows subvert and experiment with classical traditions in the representation of the human body; Unconditional Commitment to Sacred Love by replacing the archetypes of traditional nude portraiture with powerfully masculine subjects and Love Focused Like A Lazer by using progressive and experimental image-making techniques to render scenes that bear a striking resemblance to renaissance marble sculptures.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery