Matthew Stone is more than just an artist, he’s a shaman, a tour de force, a happening and something of a legend. Or so reads his artists bio. Matthew has created a cult status for himself in London since graduating from Camberwell College of Art in 2004 with a degree in painting. But make no mistake, he’s not really a painter. Between 2005 and 2008 Matthew spearheaded the South London arts collective ! WOWOW !, running riot across the capital with a barrage of squat parties, gallery shows and performances, provoking the interests of Dazed and Confused and i-D; the poster boy for London’s art scene.
All this myth and legend would be hard to swallow were it not for the fact that Matthew was and is an incredibly talented artist. His latest two shows subvert and experiment with classical traditions in the representation of the human body; Unconditional Commitment to Sacred Love by replacing the archetypes of traditional nude portraiture with powerfully masculine subjects and Love Focused Like A Lazer by using progressive and experimental image-making techniques to render scenes that bear a striking resemblance to renaissance marble sculptures.
- Take the Jack Sachs animated tour of the Tate Britain, and meet his odd CG characters along the way
- The effortlessly lovely hand-drawn illustrations of Paula Bulling
- Kii Monroe Arens' delicious gig posters
- Alex Paulus’ paintings are full of misshapen characters in odd situations
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- Carmel Buckley and Mark Harris dissect the album covers of calypso singer Mighty Sparrow
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich