Matthew Stone is more than just an artist, he’s a shaman, a tour de force, a happening and something of a legend. Or so reads his artists bio. Matthew has created a cult status for himself in London since graduating from Camberwell College of Art in 2004 with a degree in painting. But make no mistake, he’s not really a painter. Between 2005 and 2008 Matthew spearheaded the South London arts collective ! WOWOW !, running riot across the capital with a barrage of squat parties, gallery shows and performances, provoking the interests of Dazed and Confused and i-D; the poster boy for London’s art scene.
All this myth and legend would be hard to swallow were it not for the fact that Matthew was and is an incredibly talented artist. His latest two shows subvert and experiment with classical traditions in the representation of the human body; Unconditional Commitment to Sacred Love by replacing the archetypes of traditional nude portraiture with powerfully masculine subjects and Love Focused Like A Lazer by using progressive and experimental image-making techniques to render scenes that bear a striking resemblance to renaissance marble sculptures.
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- Photographer Josh Cohen captures New York’s hidden gems
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"