Matthew Stone is more than just an artist, he’s a shaman, a tour de force, a happening and something of a legend. Or so reads his artists bio. Matthew has created a cult status for himself in London since graduating from Camberwell College of Art in 2004 with a degree in painting. But make no mistake, he’s not really a painter. Between 2005 and 2008 Matthew spearheaded the South London arts collective ! WOWOW !, running riot across the capital with a barrage of squat parties, gallery shows and performances, provoking the interests of Dazed and Confused and i-D; the poster boy for London’s art scene.
All this myth and legend would be hard to swallow were it not for the fact that Matthew was and is an incredibly talented artist. His latest two shows subvert and experiment with classical traditions in the representation of the human body; Unconditional Commitment to Sacred Love by replacing the archetypes of traditional nude portraiture with powerfully masculine subjects and Love Focused Like A Lazer by using progressive and experimental image-making techniques to render scenes that bear a striking resemblance to renaissance marble sculptures.
- Sam Pilling directs video for DJ Shadow track Nobody Speaks
- Mrzyk & Moriceau's hilariously psychedelic music video for The Avalanches
- Nick Waplington's artwork for Yak, a striking representation of their sound
- Ondrej Bachor and Jan Horcik create ever-evolving identity for fashion designer Karolina Jurikova
- Bodil Jane's illustrations: ornate, exotic and really very lovely
- Drifting SUVs in the Arabian desert: Peter Garritano explores the world of hajwalah
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August