“When I was a junior junior at Pentagram in 1977, Alan Fletcher used to walk around his team, and without saying anything help himself to one of his assistant’s cigarettes, in front of them. No one said anything. After a while of this he came to my desk again. As his hand reached down to my cigarettes, I chirped up: ‘Either pay me money so I can buy more fags or f*** off and buy you own.’ A small smile crossed his mouth and ever since then we’ve got on very well together.”
So begins Professor Phil Cleaver’s book What They Didn’t Teach You In Design School, a timely new title that aims to bridge that difficult gap between the end of university and the start of a career in the design industry. Of course anecdotes like this are tremendous fun and add some nice colour, but Phil’s book is far more practically-minded than this opening gambit suggests, with chapters dedicated not only to practical skills but also interview and portfolio tips and the nitty gritty of things like invoicing and good email etiquette.
We have heard time and again about the need for an initiative like this, but in the wrong hands it could come across as really patronising. Luckily Phil’s style is nicely direct and he has the walk to back up the talk, having worked with the likes of Anthony Froshaug, Michael Wolff, Wim Crouwel and of course Fletcher.
The design too is stylish but not fussy, an important consideration when imparting such useful information.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s