Pursuing the pages of the latest issue of Apartamento magazine, we spied new work from photographer and soon-to-be speaker at our upcoming Here conference, Carlota Guerrero. In the photographer’s increasingly familiar style, the series depicts three women wearing only white underwear and powder-based paint.
The concept behind the feature is explained best in Alejandra Smit’s introduction. “We are moving through a cultural moment in which terms like ‘privacy’, ‘nudity’, ‘marketing’, ‘gender’ are being questioned,” Alejandra says. “For artists of all disciplines, the only way to reinvent these concepts is moving towards them, like scientists carrying out trial and error experiments until reaching an answer. We sat down to speak with experimental artist Soraya Rosales, photographer and art director Carlota Guerrero, and Paloma Lanna, who lends her name and creative direction to the clothing brand Paloma Wool. Beyond the differences and similarities, their work emits a unified call for an organic revolution, based upon action and born of acceptance."
“The photos were trying to express the idea that we, women on the internet, are owning our bodies, using them as canvas to express things, not because men want it to but because we have things to say, and they don’t have to be related to sex,” Carlota told It’s Nice That. “So we were painting ourselves in earthy colours, with natural pigments, and portraying us with natural light and a honest gaze.
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos