When the Fondation Louis Vuitton was unveiled in 2014 in the Bois de Boulogne in Paris, after a decade in the making and an as yet still unknown budget, the Frank Gehry-designed building seemed to stand as an impossible feat of engineering. Surrounded by sweeping glass sails, the cultural centre’s design was a meeting of the minds between Gehry and chairman and CEO of luxury goods conglomerate LVMH, Bernard Arnault.
A book detailing the laboured process behind the Fondation mimics its design with a shimmering blue cover and thick plastic casing modelled after Gehry’s sails. The monograph is the handiwork of Paris-based studio Prototype, whose designers Aurore Jannin and Laurent Pinnon mostly work on publishing projects and have amassed a stellar list of clients since establishing their joint practice last year.
As curator of the architectural exhibition which accompanied the Fondation’s opening, the book is edited under the direction of Frédéric Migayrou. Including over 350 photographs, sketches and maps, it shows the various stages of the project’s development. These are accompanied by essays from architecture critics and art historians analysing Gehry’s building.
The impactful, evocative cover and case is accompanied by beautiful stencilled type and restrained layouts inside, and prove the designers more than worthy of their past commissions from Centre Pompidou, Beaux Arts Magazine and LVMH.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s