Romain Laurent is no stranger to the It’s Nice That treatment and his new ongoing series One Loop Portrait a Week is particularly brilliant. With each GIF portrait he captures weird and funny situations – think books on heads, hair over faces and a lot of inhaling and exhaling to chuckle-inducing results. He’s two months into the project, which is his first ongoing series. This is what he told us about his reasons behind making it…
“I remember being in photography school several years ago and having new assignments every week, which meant that my classmates and I had to come up with something new all the time and shoot it right away. This is something I’ve kind of lost sight of while working professionally. I usually work on carefully prepared photo series which take several weeks, if not months to come together from the idea to the final product. These projects and advertising campaigns are much larger in scale and take more human resources and time, so it is sometimes tough to stay spontaneous.
“The idea behind One Loop Portrait a Week was to re-capture some sort of creative rhythm or spontaneity I felt I lost. Every week I shoot a new portrait with no pressure or overall idea, just what comes into my mind.”
Alas, we’re not able to show you the moving portraits, but if you pop over to Romain’s site you can see them in all of their loopiness.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)