Ambition is always risky – get it wrong and you can expect it via both barrels from those keen to point out the error of you overreaching yourself. But get it right and it can be transcendental and my goodness did Jonathan Santana and Xander Smith get it right for this year’s Saatchi and Saatchi New Directors’ Showcase unveiling event in Cannes. In front of an audience of 3,000 industry peers (no pressure then!), the duo masterminded an extraordinary sound and light show around the theme Meet Your Creator, which included choreographing 16 specially-made flying robots (by the genius team at K Mel Robotics) in an elaborate, enjoyably melodramatic sequence that few present are likely to forget. It’s testament to the power of their creation that even via Youtube, so often an underwhelming disseminator of live events, it’s five minutes of sheer brilliance. Sit back and enjoy.
(Show producer Juliette Larthe/ creative/technical directors Marshmallow Laser Feast)
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)