Ambition is always risky – get it wrong and you can expect it via both barrels from those keen to point out the error of you overreaching yourself. But get it right and it can be transcendental and my goodness did Jonathan Santana and Xander Smith get it right for this year’s Saatchi and Saatchi New Directors’ Showcase unveiling event in Cannes. In front of an audience of 3,000 industry peers (no pressure then!), the duo masterminded an extraordinary sound and light show around the theme Meet Your Creator, which included choreographing 16 specially-made flying robots (by the genius team at K Mel Robotics) in an elaborate, enjoyably melodramatic sequence that few present are likely to forget. It’s testament to the power of their creation that even via Youtube, so often an underwhelming disseminator of live events, it’s five minutes of sheer brilliance. Sit back and enjoy.
(Show producer Juliette Larthe/ creative/technical directors Marshmallow Laser Feast)
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale