Ambition is always risky – get it wrong and you can expect it via both barrels from those keen to point out the error of you overreaching yourself. But get it right and it can be transcendental and my goodness did Jonathan Santana and Xander Smith get it right for this year’s Saatchi and Saatchi New Directors’ Showcase unveiling event in Cannes. In front of an audience of 3,000 industry peers (no pressure then!), the duo masterminded an extraordinary sound and light show around the theme Meet Your Creator, which included choreographing 16 specially-made flying robots (by the genius team at K Mel Robotics) in an elaborate, enjoyably melodramatic sequence that few present are likely to forget. It’s testament to the power of their creation that even via Youtube, so often an underwhelming disseminator of live events, it’s five minutes of sheer brilliance. Sit back and enjoy.
(Show producer Juliette Larthe/ creative/technical directors Marshmallow Laser Feast)
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design