Ambition is always risky – get it wrong and you can expect it via both barrels from those keen to point out the error of you overreaching yourself. But get it right and it can be transcendental and my goodness did Jonathan Santana and Xander Smith get it right for this year’s Saatchi and Saatchi New Directors’ Showcase unveiling event in Cannes. In front of an audience of 3,000 industry peers (no pressure then!), the duo masterminded an extraordinary sound and light show around the theme Meet Your Creator, which included choreographing 16 specially-made flying robots (by the genius team at K Mel Robotics) in an elaborate, enjoyably melodramatic sequence that few present are likely to forget. It’s testament to the power of their creation that even via Youtube, so often an underwhelming disseminator of live events, it’s five minutes of sheer brilliance. Sit back and enjoy.
(Show producer Juliette Larthe/ creative/technical directors Marshmallow Laser Feast)
- Michael Craig-Martin: a cool, clean and colourful riot of everyday objects
- Anatoly Grashchenko's randomly generated posters for a Moscow theatre
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Bobby Doherty’s vivid and humorous still-life photography
- Dezeen founder and editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs talks us through his bookshelf
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs