We were lucky enough to be able to interview Paul Smith for our magazine’s third issue, and the accompanying launch event was held at his Holborn-based head-quarters. It’s safe to say he is both a fashion/creative icon, as well as a GENUINELY LOVELY MAN. Merry Christmas everybody!
Paul’s image of the year: “Mr Brown, our office manager, has kept us on the straight and narrow this year. As he has for many years.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
It’s been fine for me so…11!
What broke? How did you fix it?
My central heating at home which I fixed by paying a ridiculous amount of money. Now it works most of the time.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
The Chilean miners stepping out of that scary, small capsule.
What was your favourite day of the year?
Don’t like the word favourite because it depends on my mood. So in fact, all of my days have been pretty good!
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Luckily nothing dangerous but public speaking is always a bit scary.
Best Google image search of 2010?
I know you won’t believe this but I don’t use a computer. Is a google a small bird
Best man/woman of the year?
Your finest moment?
The second after one of my fashion shows finishes. Phew, it’s all over.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
I suppose it would be my Cannon G10 camera because I use it every day.
What would you like to say to 2010?
Come on, cheer up, there’s always next year!
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design