We were lucky enough to be able to interview Paul Smith for our magazine’s third issue, and the accompanying launch event was held at his Holborn-based head-quarters. It’s safe to say he is both a fashion/creative icon, as well as a GENUINELY LOVELY MAN. Merry Christmas everybody!
Paul’s image of the year: “Mr Brown, our office manager, has kept us on the straight and narrow this year. As he has for many years.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
It’s been fine for me so…11!
What broke? How did you fix it?
My central heating at home which I fixed by paying a ridiculous amount of money. Now it works most of the time.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
The Chilean miners stepping out of that scary, small capsule.
What was your favourite day of the year?
Don’t like the word favourite because it depends on my mood. So in fact, all of my days have been pretty good!
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Luckily nothing dangerous but public speaking is always a bit scary.
Best Google image search of 2010?
I know you won’t believe this but I don’t use a computer. Is a google a small bird
Best man/woman of the year?
Your finest moment?
The second after one of my fashion shows finishes. Phew, it’s all over.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
I suppose it would be my Cannon G10 camera because I use it every day.
What would you like to say to 2010?
Come on, cheer up, there’s always next year!
- Kyle Platts and Andy Baker's animation takes us on a kaleidoscopic trip through the park
- Casper Balslev shows ballerinas wielding AK-47s in his ad for the Royal Danish Theatre
- An unusual custom typeface and great layouts for new print mag Migrant
- Bold, minimal-leaning graphic design from hot new studio Vrints-Kolsteren
- Daniel Savage’s monochrome animation plays with geometry and space
- Waverly Labs launches an earpiece that translates languages in real time
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- Milton Glaser: we talk drawing, ethics, Shakespeare and Trump with the graphic design legend
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Strange posters and superb typography from Venetian studio Tankboys
- Should designers specialise early, or have a “portfolio career”?