We were lucky enough to be able to interview Paul Smith for our magazine’s third issue, and the accompanying launch event was held at his Holborn-based head-quarters. It’s safe to say he is both a fashion/creative icon, as well as a GENUINELY LOVELY MAN. Merry Christmas everybody!
Paul’s image of the year: “Mr Brown, our office manager, has kept us on the straight and narrow this year. As he has for many years.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
It’s been fine for me so…11!
What broke? How did you fix it?
My central heating at home which I fixed by paying a ridiculous amount of money. Now it works most of the time.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
The Chilean miners stepping out of that scary, small capsule.
What was your favourite day of the year?
Don’t like the word favourite because it depends on my mood. So in fact, all of my days have been pretty good!
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Luckily nothing dangerous but public speaking is always a bit scary.
Best Google image search of 2010?
I know you won’t believe this but I don’t use a computer. Is a google a small bird
Best man/woman of the year?
Your finest moment?
The second after one of my fashion shows finishes. Phew, it’s all over.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
I suppose it would be my Cannon G10 camera because I use it every day.
What would you like to say to 2010?
Come on, cheer up, there’s always next year!
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery