LA-based artist Steven Harrington has been exploring the idea of balance in his work for a while now, interested as he is in the metaphorical significance of balance in our increasingly hectic lives. But in his new foray into product design, Steven has applied these ideas to a lamp, creating a great-looking, super-fun piece covered with his trademark shifty eyes. Working with wood for the very first time, each piece is hand-carved and hand-painted to create objects of real beauty, the curious totems topped with splash-coloured shades. Steven says: " Each one represents the harmony we seek in our daily lives, an inspired and inspiring reminder of the importance of equanimity…Each lamp is a functional work of art that illuminates, literally and figuratively."
Igniting in me a lust for lamps I didn’t know I possessed, Steven’s limited edition run produced with Case Studyo is sure to be in high demand.
- Submit Saturdays: So you’ve built your website, what’s next?
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Best of the web: a whole host of internet goodies
- Mould Map's latest issue is brought to life as an exhibition
- Photographer Toru Akai uncovers the Invisible Machinery that defines modern life
- Kuti Kuti, the comic association looking to educate and inspire
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- London Design Festival: where to go and what to see
- Caitlyn Murphy's paintings elevate the charm of everyday life
- Sean Lotman’s serenely psychedelic photographs of Japan