Greetings, Podlings! Welcome to this week’s Studio Audience, the podcast that keeps up to date with the cultural news in an informal, and sometimes slightly baffling way. This week host Liv Siddall chats to James Cartwright, Maisie Skidmore and Will Hudson about the topics of today, including tidbits about Anne Boleyn’s breasts and the Brit Awards.
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
Kicking off this week was Maisie Skidmore talking about a Wieden+Kennedy video that got everyone talking this week. The short film shows us into Northlandz, the world’s largest model railway and the inspirational guy who’s responsible for it. Some clever cookie thought that strapping a camera phone to the model train could be a lark. Somebody get this guy a promotion! We also made time to chat about the design surrounding the BAFTAS 2014, James Cartwright spoke of creatives Human After All and La Boca and the importance of illustrated printed matter in a historic ceremony such as this.
Warmed up and even chattier than before we arrived into the second section in which we discussed a man who wandered into an Ai Wei Wei exhibition and smashed a $1.3million vase as an act of protest. We also had a chinwag about the beautiful and “caressable” new COS magazine, featuring interviews with Miranda July and Tino Sehgal.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s