The weekend is nigh on upon us and there’s just the weekly Friday traditions to navigate before we can all go streaking in the quad (or whatever you’ve got planned). Chief among these hurdles is the new episode of Studio Audience, the It’s Nice That podcast, but if it is a hurdle it’s one built of wit and insight (!) rather than clattery metal and that. So let’s do this!
You can subscribe via iTunes here or listen via the SoundCloud link above.
This week we kicked off talking about a new set of 119 BBC icons set to be rolled out across various areas and designed to combine and to the organisation’s heritage with multi-use clarity, then we looked at this neat bit of creative thinking by climate change activists (video above) and we purred over the new Studio Frith/Juergen Teller/Will Self food book. Finally we spoke about plans by The Observer newspaper to launch a monthly technology supplement to place it “at the heart of the conversation about technology and science in this country.”
Then we looked quickly at plans to turn 2001 hit film Amelie into a Broadway musical and the strange case of a director who sold the rights but hated doing so. We pondered the idea of giving up ownership of creative work in the modern world.
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant