Well a very good day to you all. As we wind down to the extended bank holiday weekend we thought we’d throw a podcast your way as you’ve got a three-day weekend in which to enjoy it (perhaps more than once) and think over the news we’ve bestowed upon you. In a radical twist of events your usual host (the silky-voiced Rob Alderson) had to be in New York for the week so we’ve changed things up a bit (not much) with exciting results!
In section one this week we reminisced over David Beckham’s illustrious advertising career – promoting everything from sugary drinks to the tightest kecks you’ve ever seen – as he retired from professional football, wondered whether Cannes or Clerkenwell was the most exciting industry event taking place this week, and had a bit of a love-in with the Chelsea Flower Show. We also gawped at the recent record-breaking sale of Gerhard Richter’s Domplatz, Mailaind and got excited about our upcoming creative symposium, Here.
Section Two this week found us wondering whether Tumblr and Yahoo are really a good fit and debating the pros and cons of Google having it’s own law-free island presided over by (naked or otherwise) Larry Page following his now-infamous keynote to Google employees.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang