I tell you now that I never thought life could get more exciting than sitting around our little desks with microphones chewing the fat about the art and design world, but it totally just did! So sit back and enjoy this brief rundown of a truly lovely episode of Studio Audience where we chat about recent goings-on and do an ample amount of complaining that we weren’t invited to the Venice Biennale. Maybe next time. On we go!
Section One got off to cracking start as we chatted about the fantastically all-welcoming Wired magazine redesign, the ancient Rubens found locked in a cupboard at the University of Reading, Daft Punk’s ironic Monaco failure, and the download-binge-fest that was the release of the new series of Arrested Development on Netflix.
If, like me, your Instagram is clogged up by collared, Campari-drinking art types at Venice this week then this section is for you. Let our exploration into Jeremy Deller’s Pavilion, Ai Wei Wei’s dioramas and the growing excitement around the Palazzo Peckham fill you with enough info to make people believe you were actually there. Semi-convincing spray tan optional.
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)