Good people of planet earth, lend me your ears (not literally, that’d be hideous). The fourth episode of our Studio Audience podcast has hovered into view over the skyline like the spaceships in Independence Day but rather than threatening to kill us all, it’s just bringing some art and design chat for your delectation. Lovely stuff.
This week things kicked off with a look at this year’s Oscars – the winners and of course the losers (including much-criticised host Seth McFarlane). We then looked at Jamie Hawkesworth’s excellent Ai Weiwei studio shoot, touched on our Nice Wednesdays event headlined by the brilliant Rob Ryan and discussed the not-at-all-batsh*t-crazy idea to build an exact replica of the Titanic. Plus we took joy in Andy Rementer and Honet’s ace animations for Lacoste (below).
First up we talked about the rights and wrongs of the plans to dismantle a Frank Lloyd Wright house in New Jersey and move it to Italy in a bid to save it from flooding.
And then we turned sour attention to a new show celebrating the art of the pop video and talked about whether Youtube was a creative help or hinderance in this area. My guests also chose their favourites (above and below).
- Alan Fears’ papier mâché heads are a humorous portrait of ourselves
- The quiet humour of illustrator Elena Xausa
- Devilish charm: the illustrations of Polly Nor
- Illustrator Thomas Howe’s detailed character studies capture quirky personas
- Tragic beauty: the arsenic-laden wallpapers of the Victorian home
- Bureau Mirko Borsche creates a crisp, type-led campaign for the Bavarian State Opera
- Reasons Not To Do Graphic Design by Yotam Hadar
- Nostalgia in branding: top design studios analyse the NatWest and Co-op retrobrands
- Google and Monotype launch Noto, an open-source typeface family for all the world’s languages
- The only way is ethics: what are the moral obligations of a graphic designer?
- Rachel Levit illustrates contemporary relationships in new book
- Creative agency INT Works relaunches as Anyways, with a playful graphic identity